Baptisms (sometimes called ‘christenings’) are lovely occasions at which we welcome young children (or people of any age) as members of the Norbury church family. They take place on Sundays, either as part of the main service at 10.15 , or separately at 12.30pm.
If you are interested in having your child baptised or if you are older and would like to be baptised you can come to church any Saturday morning between 9.30am – 10.30am when we can chat it through.
As part of the preparation for baptism, we ask all parents to choose a date from our monthly Baptism Preparation session, which we hope you will find useful and enjoyable. Godparents are also welcome, if they’d like to come, but we regret that for practical reasons it’s important that children are not brought along to this session.When your child is baptised he or she becomes a member of the church. We’re glad to baptise any child who lives in Hazel Grove, or whose parents worship regularly with us. It’s important that the child can have a chance to grow up in the church where he or she has been baptised. So we normally encourage families outside the parish or the church membership to try their own local church first.
Some practical points
- Godparents must be over 18 and must themselves be baptised, and able to make their faith promises along with the parents
- The baptism certificate costs £14.00. There is no fee for the baptism service, but we invite people to put an appropriate donation on the plate at the door when you leave after the service
- The main 10.15am service usually lasts about an hour or so. A separate baptism at 12.30pm lasts about 30 minutes
- We need to emphasise that photography is not allowed during the service as it does cause a distraction but all are very welcome to take photographs after the service is actually finished
- Car parking space is limited. For this reason we ask that you don’t park in the church car park before 12.15pm if your Baptism is at 12.30pm. Please make sure that friends and family are aware of the other car parks available at Brook Street, Torkington Park or the park and ride.
Please get in touch if you’d like more information.